SMBRD #48 Sponsors
Title: Reverse Dealer
Location: Westerner Park
Breakfast: Red Deer Magnet Signs
I think it’s safe to say most of the attendees at SMBRD #48 walked away inspired by Dwayne Holland’s session on branding. This is a topic that he usually delivers over a three-day workshop, and we were lucky enough to get a condensed, 30-minute version.
There is a difference between brand and branding which is important when figuring out what your companies brand is. Your brand is your message whereas branding is the activating of that message.
Branding is how you activate your essence. Way deeper than a logo. #SMBRD
— Mary Medinsky (@mmedinsky) March 16, 2017
Brand is the heartbeat; branding is the pretty pictures.
— Tracy Pound (@poundlounge) March 16, 2017
When it comes to our businesses, it’s important to think about the brands that are at the top of your mind and why they are at the top of your mind. Dwayne led us through an exercise where we identified the first brands that come to mind when we think of different things, such as vehicles, breakfast cereal, and soft drinks.
A brand is in one of three stages and it’s important to be aware of what stage your company is in:
- Build – a new business or idea that has yet to be positioned in the marketplace
- Renovate – a business that’s experienced and has some level of moderate success but has hit the wall and is unsure where to go next. The brand needs some new life.
- Refresh – this is for a company that is quite successful and wanting to stay on top of the marketplace to keep the business moving forward.
#smbrd it’s not about putting a polish on the outside of your business. That’s fake. Your brand DNA is what’s authentic about your business
— Danielle Klooster (@danikloo) March 16, 2017
Some more important points from Dwayne:
- Your brand DNA is what is authentic about your business. Having a facade will only shatter down the road
- Determine what your core values are. These values are what drive your brand.
- Ask yourself why you are doing this? What gets you out of bed in the morning? What do you want to change in the world? Why do you care?
- Know your vision and mission statement and how they reflect on your brand.
- Use your brand as the foundation for all business decisions
- Figure out what you want to be known for in your industry.
- All your staff to put their personal life brand into your brand to support your business.
- Don’t be a B2B (business to business) or B2C (business to consumer), be a P2P (person to person) type of a business
Be true to yourself and your brand will tell the rest of the story!! #smbrd Love this!
— CalyxTravis (@calyxfloral) March 16, 2017
It was truly a treat to have Dwayne Holland share his views on brand with everyone who attended (and boy there were a lot of you in attendance!). If you didn’t have the pleasure of getting a spot and want to hear the whole presentation, jump over to our Facebook page where we record each presentation live.
Don’t forget to stay tuned to our social channels for the announcement of next month’s topic. You’re going to want to get your tickets fast before they’re all gone!